Wednesday 13 May 2009

A side note...

...I've been doing more printing than usual with the campaign literature and all that, so I just took my printer cartridge to the local re-fill centre because it had run it's course, and the very helpful chap behind the counter advised me that I was asking him to refill a "starter" cartridge. I asked him what the difference was to a normal cartridge and he said it's the cartridge that the manufacturers, (all of them apparently), include in the "starter" pack. It only contains roughly one third of the ink in a normal cartridge. However, for all other intents and purposes it is identical to a normal cartridge. I'll let you work out just why the manufacturers would do this, and what it means in terms of refill costs, the need for different size cartridges for the same machine, the environmental cost etc, but more than anything I realised that someone somewhere decided that this was a good idea (maybe for commercial reasons), and that as soon as one manufacturer did it, others followed. And apparently this is a fairly NEW phenomena. More compromising on integrity, and complicity in that compromise - it frankly permeates almost every aspect of our lives.....must stay positive, must stay positive, must stay positive, must stay positive.......

1 comment: